Sunday, April 12, 2015

My new Sony A7R

If you have been following my posts on Facebook for the past 2 years, you may have noticed that I have a bit fickle about my camera usage. I have tried the Canon 6D, Sony Nex 6 and 7, Leica and Olympus.

I had the rare privilege of testing these cameras for students and renting the rest. I found that each camera had features I really liked but in the end I had to make a choice.

I went with the Sony A7R for a lot of reasons; but the most important was weight, full frame sensor and glass. I will post an image that I took back in October while scouting the Route 66.2 Workshop. We were in the Grand Canyon and there had been controlled burns all day. The smoke ruined the air quality as well as providing us with a nasty haze over the canyon. I want to thank Virginia Courtney for allowing me to borrow her SonyA7R rig for this trip.

Desert View, GCNP
© Photo by Barbara Moon Batista
Sony A7R, Sony Zeiss 24-70, ISO 320, 1/100 sec, f13
This shot was taken at 4 PM when the sun was still strong on the cliff face.







Desert View, GCNP
© Photo by Barbara Moon Batista
Sony A7R, Sony Zeiss 24-70, ISO 4000, 1/15, f8

This shot was taken at 4:59 PM. I like the soft, painterly quality that the higher ISO gives to the hues. The background separates nicely from the foreground. The sun had left the cliff face but the afterglow certainly was enough light to make this photograph.